|1BlessedNatural: 15 Scientific Names for Common Natural Hair Product Ingredients (photo cred: shalommama via Flickr under CC by 2.0)|
Happy Wednesday, my blessed naturals!
In all of my product junkiness (if that’s a word), I’ve learned a few things about the scientific ingredients in many natural hair products. As a result, I’ve decided to compile a list of 15 of them from some of the natural hair products I own. Often, you will find that the actual names of these ingredients will be in parentheses next to the scientific names on the product label. For example: Coconut Oil (written below) would be written as Coconut (Cocos Nucifera) Oil. I've also seen labels with the scientific or Latin names written first. The label regulations for the backs of products are by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and are the International Nomentclature of Cosmetic Ingredients (INCI) names to help us, as buyers recognize the ingredients. This can really come in handy when you are trying to decide what products to buy if you have allergies. Here is my list:
1. Coconut Oil - Cocos Nucifera Oil
2. Butyrospermum Parkii Butter – Shea Butter
3. Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil- Sweet Almond Oil
4. Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Oil - Aloe Vera
5. Persea Gratissima Oil – Avocado Oil
6. Simmondsia Chinensis Oil – Jojoba Oil
7. Olea Europaea Fruit Oil - Olive Oil
8. Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract – Grape Seed Oil
9. Glycine Soja Oil – Soybean Oil
10. Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil – Macadamia Oil
11. Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil – Argan Oil
12. Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil – Rosemary Oil
13. Tocopheryl Acetate – Vitamin E.
14. Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil – Sunflower Seed Oil
15. Mangifera Indica Seed Butter - Mango Seed Butter
Which ingredients do you see the most on the labels of natural hair products?
Related Articles: What's in My Natural Hair Spray Bottles?
Pleasant Smelling Shea Butter Recipes
Attractive Words Used in Natural Hair Packaging